Protesters who flooded the courtroom to express their outrage over the handling of the trial of a man threatening to execute young children might not have been enough to postpone a deal his lawyer already says is likely to be completed soon.
According to the Missoulian, the trial of David Joseph Lenio, formerly of Kalispell, was supposed to commence on Tuesday, but was put off for the second time to March 14.
Lenio is charged with felony intimidation after he posted threats on Twitter saying he was going to kill Jewish leaders and “execute grade school children,” adding, “I bet I’d take out at least a whole classroom and score 30-plus if I put my mind to it.”
According to a human rights group and two local rabbis, reducing charges to anything less than a felony would allow him to purchase and own more guns under current law.
Lenio, a restaurant cook, was arrested in February of last year after his roommate said that he had moved guns and ammunition into their apartment. He first came to the attention of authorities when Jonathan Hutson, who was a spokesman for the Brady Campaign at the time, alerted them to the online threats.