Estimates say Flint, Michigan is home to over 1,000 undocumented immigrants who were often the last to know that the water was toxic to drink. The immigrants have limited access to information, particularly the ones still learning English. Without hearing the media reports, they may not have discovered that there was a problem until noticing the water coming out discolored with their own eyes.
Fear of discovery and deportation has left many out of the process of obtaining bottled water. One woman reports that she was immediately asked for her license at a distribution center where water was being given out.